Thursday 19 July 2012

Chocolate fudge

Mini came home from school yesterday asking if he could make cards and a present for his teacher and classroom assistants as it is the end of term tomorrow.
I'd half had it in mind that I'd make fudge, and had all the ingredients in already, so I thought it would be perfect for Mini (5) to have a go at making. And presented in pretty cellophane bags with pink ribbons made a lovely pressie.

The recipe I used is based on the one printed on the side of the condensed milk tin, but having made it before, I decided to tweak it a little bit.

Makes around 64 pieces:

397g tin of condensed milk (apparently this doesn't work with the light version, so get the full on one!)
400g dark chocolate (I use the 'value' version which is not only cheap, but not quite as rich as branded ones)
30g margarine
125g icing sugar (sifted)

Break the chocolate into pieces. Then add it to a large pan along with the condensed milk and margarine. Stir occasionally til smooth and glossy.

Whilst the chocolate melts, line a 20cm x 20cm tin with cling film.

Once melted, add the icing sugar and beat until thick, firm and all icing sugar traces have disappeared. (I did this in my kenwood mixer with the k-beater for ease.

Press into the prepared tin and pop in the fridge until set. Score and cut, then enjoy!

For some variation, you can dust in icing sugar or cocoa before serving.
Or try pressing some chopped nuts/sugar sprinkles/coloured sugar into the surface of the fudge before chilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment